Friday, August 30, 2013

Embroidered Blossom Card

Making the most of my last few days before school starts, I decided that I wanted to attempt a card with a bit more challenge then I have put myself up to as of late.  Inspired by a YouTube video that I found on Pinterest, I found the card was cute and using a needle and thread give the card an extra personal touch. Instead of using yet another tool, as it seems every card I create requires something I don't have (except for time).

Using my Silhouette, I cut out the main components of the card (two overlays and a base).  I then glued the purple overlay onto my card base.  I punched a 1/4" hole on the top and the bottom of my card where I wanted to place the stem.  After they were punched, I undertook the most challenging part of this card!  Threading my needle with green string and placing it from the bottom of one hole and out through the other.  In order for the string to stay in place after it went through the bottom hole, I placed a dimensional on the back and placed the end of the string on it.  I wanted my stem to look thick so I repeated this process a total of four times.  Once my stem was completed, I cut off the extra string and stuck the end to the dimensional.  I then added four more dimensionals on the back of the overlay and placed it on top of the purple overlay.  Next, I took my Blossom punch and did a total of three (two white and one purple) to make the flower appear layered.  Once the blossoms were finished, I used my 1/4" hole punch and punched a hole where there was a petal.  Using a dimensional on the back of the flower, I then threaded my needle with purple string which allowed me to create petals with an embroidered look (thus the blog title!)   I came in from one of the outer petals and went across to the length of the petal on the opposite side.  Repeating this process until the whole flower was complete.  Once the flower was completed, I placed dimensional's on the back of the other white blossom and then glued the purple on top, once again turning to to give the effect of laying.  I then added a few more more dimensional's to the embroidered flower and placed it on the card.  After the flower was completed, I used my Silhouette to cut out a strip of grass and two leaves.  Putting dimensional's on the grass and adhering it to the bottom of the card I then punched holes on each end of the leaves to stretch my thread across the length of the leaf.  This time I did not put a dimensional on the back since it would have given it too much height.  Instead I used mini glue dots to hold the two leaves in place.  Once I was done embroidering, I stamped "Feel Better" from Sassy Salutations.

Here is the link to the tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0ItIA4CxA#at=49) that I used to make this card just in case my steps are not clear enough.  Until next time, happy carding everyone.


Measurement Guide
(a)  Card Base:  7" by 10"
(b)  Purple Overlay:  6.75" by 4.75"
(c)  White Overlay:  6.5" by 4.5"
(d)  Grass:  4.5" by 1.25"

No comments:

Post a Comment